|Untitled Document |
Contact: Roxanne Jurtschenko
(973) 361-5400 ext. 1413
HWH Public Relations
For Immediate Release
NEW EXILIM® ZOOM MODELS FEATURE 5 MEGAPIXEL CCD
AND LONG BATTERY OPERATION
2.5-inch LCD EX-Z55 and 2-inch LCD EX-Z50 Models Available
DOVER, NJ, August 25, 2004-Casio, Inc., in conjunction with its parent company, Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, announces the release of the 5-megapixel EX-Z55 and EX-Z50, two new models in the EXILIM ZOOM range of digital cameras with long battery operation and large LCD viewing screens. The cameras will be available in October, MSRP $449.99 for the EX-Z55 and $399.99 for the EX-Z50.
Earlier this year, CASIO introduced the 4-megapixel EXILIM ZOOM EX-Z40, a thin-body digital camera with a large 2.0-inch TFT LCD screen. This model offered high picture quality, high-speed response and energy saving circuitry in a compact unit. Thanks to the incorporation of CASIO's proprietary compact image processing module, the EXILIM Engine, the model also offered superior portability and exceptional performance, providing 2.5 times longer battery life (comparison between EX-Z4U and EX-Z40), and representing a significant improvement over what remains a common drawback with conventional digital cameras. This attention to the needs of consumers in terms of features and usability ensured the EX-Z40's extraordinary popularity.
"Our new EXILIM ZOOM models, the EX-Z50 and the EX-Z55, both incorporate Casio's heralded EXILIM Engine, the compact image processing module with a 3 layer stack LSI that enables high picture quality and speedy response using a 1.8V low-power system," said John Clough, President of Casio, Inc. "They now feature circuitry enabling even lower power consumption providing users with a much longer battery life, allowing them to take up to 400 pictures on a single charge. This means that these cameras are perfect for work or travel applications where it may not be possible to regularly charge the battery." In addition, continued Clough, "both the EX-Z50 and the EX-Z55 introduce the ‘Business Shot' function. This enables users to take a trapezoidal distorted picture of a projector, white board, document or business card from a side angle and correct it to a rectangle automatically. This empowers the professional consumer with enormous convenience and flexibility."
The EX-Z55 is equipped with a high resolution 5-megapixel CCD, a 3X optical zoom lens and a larger 2.5-inch LCD screen incorporating an optical viewfinder. With its compact and stylish design, the EX-Z55 can take approximately 400 pictures (based on CIPA* standards) on a single charge. The EX-Z50 has a 2 inch LCD screen and can take approximately 390 pictures. Both models offer extended battery life, making them ideal for use during long vacations and business travel, in fact any occasion requiring the amazing stamina that these cameras now offer.
*CIPA standard "Standard Procedure for Measuring Digital Still Camera Battery
Until recently there has been no standard measurement for battery life. This has resulted in inconsistencies between camera products and their catalogs and instruction manuals. As of December 2003, CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) established the Standard Procedure for Measuring Digital Still Camera Battery Consumption, and hopes to reduce confusion among consumers by having this adopted by the world's digital camera manufacturers and retailers.
Like all models in the EXILIM series, they offer superior portability and excellent picture quality, along with extremely high-speed operation for quick response in a variety of shooting situations. One example is the Best Shot function that allows the user to select settings automatically by choosing from sample scenes. In addition, several new functions have been incorporated to assure a higher level of performance, such as the "Auto Macro" function which automatically switches between macro mode and AF mode; "Flash Assist" which operates during flash photography to compensate for brightness levels in darker areas not reached by the flash; "Icon Help" which uses an on-screen display to guide the user during the switching of settings; and the "Business Shot" function which provides automatic correction for photos taken at an angle.
Main Features of the EX-Z55/50
High performance operation in an easy-to-use, compact design
- High-resolution images captured by the CCD with 5 million effective pixels.
- 3X optical zoom in a compact body
- Large 2.5-inch digital interface TFT LCD screen (2.0-inch for the EX-Z50)
- The viewfinder has been built into the LCD screen allowing the use of an optical viewfinder in addition to the image provided on the LCD screen (EX-Z55)
- High quality lightweight aluminum body with comfortable handgrip.
Long battery life for extended shooting on a single battery charge
- 10% longer battery life than the previous model (EX-Z40), with a greater number of pixels and a larger display screen (EX-Z55)
- Up to 400 photos can be taken on a single charge, based on CIPA standards for battery life measurement. (390 photos for the EX-Z50)
Quick response thanks to high-speed design
- The camera automatically selects fixed-focus Auto Pan Focus mode for instantaneous response when the shutter is pressed rapidly.
- Direct On function for one-touch operation of either picture taking or playback modes.
- Rapid start-up allows shooting approximately 1.6 seconds* after the power is turned on.
- Images are recorded approximately 0.01 seconds* after the shutter is released.
- 0.1-second high-speed playback for photo scrolling.
*with the flash off
More convenient functions
- Business Shot function compensates for photos taken at an angle and records them as though taken from straight ahead.
- Best Shot allows settings to be chosen by selecting from a collection of sample images.
- Extended shooting of video with sound can be performed until the memory is full.
- Noise Reduction processing makes night scenes more beautiful.
- Auto Macro function enables automatic switching between Macro and AF modes.
- 7-point Multi-Auto Focus automatically selects the optimum focus point location.
- Flash Assist function provides exposure compensation for areas not reached by the flash.
- Icon Guide function uses a pop-up guide to help the user when switching settings.
Features for fun
- Voice recording function with playback from the camera's speaker.
- Photostand feature allowing a slideshow of images while the camera sits in its cradle.
- Calendar function shows thumbnail images of photos taken on any specified date.
- World Time function allows the user to set the camera to the local time in one of 162 cities in 32 time zones around the world.
- Store special photos or those you don't want others to see in your own Favorites folder.
- Create HTML albums in the camera which can be viewed directly by Web browsers.
- Connects directly to PictBridge and USB DIRECT-PRINT compatible printers.
- 9.3MB internal flash memory, compatible with SD memory card / Multi Media Card (not included.)
- Menu display possible in one of 10 languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese.
- Photo Loader software allows automatic transfer of images to a PC at the touch of a single button on the USB cradle.
- Compatible with ExifPrint (Exif 2.2) and PRINT Image Matching III
|EX-Z55/Z50 Specifications |
|Recording Element: || ||1/2.5-inch square pixel primary color CCD (5.25 million total pixels; 5 million effective pixels) |
|File Record Format: || || |
Snapshots: JPEG (Exif. Ver. 2.2), DCF standard, DPOF compliant
Movies: AVI (Motion JPEG), Audio: WAV (Monaural)
|Recording Medium: || ||Built-in flash memory (9.3 MB image recordable area), SD memory card/Multi Media card compliant |
|Recorded Image Sizes: || || |
2560 X 1920 / 2560 X 1712 (3:2) / 2048 X 1536 / 1600 X 1200 / 1280 X 960 / 640 X 480 pixels
Movies: 320 X 240 pixels
|Recorded File Sizes: |
| || || |
Image size (pixels)
Built-in memory (9.3MB)
SD Memory Card
640 x 480
320 x 240
3 min. 20 sec.
4 hr. 20 min.
| || ||*1 when using a Panasonic 64MB card |
| || ||*2 limited only by the battery life and the available memory |
|Lens: || ||smc Pentax Lens (6 lenses in 5 groups, including aspherical lens) F2.6(W) to 4.8(T); f=5.8(W) to 17.4(T) mm (equivalent to approximately 35 to 105 mm when converted to 35mm film) |
|Zoom: || ||3X optical zoom; 4X digital zoom (12X total when optical and digital zooms are used in combination) |
|Focusing: || ||Contrast type AF (selectable between spot, multi); pan focus; macro mode; infinity mode; manual focus |
Approximate Focus Range:
| ||Normal: 15.75" to Infinity; Macro: 2.36" to 19.69" |
|Exposure Control: || ||Metering: Multi-pattern by imaging element |
Control: program AE
Exposure Compensation: -2EV to +2EV (in 1/3EV steps)
|Shutter: || ||CCD electronic / mechanical shutter; 4 to 1/2000 shutter speed (including night mode) |
|Aperture: || ||Auto; F2.6 / F4.3 Automatic switching |
|White Balance: || ||Auto; Fixed (6 modes); Manual |
|Sensitivity: || ||Auto; ISO50 / ISO100 / ISO200 / ISO400 |
|Recording Functions: || ||Snapshot; audio snapshot; movies with audio; Best Shot; Business Shot; Auto Macro; Flash Assist; voice recorder; Icon Help; sharpness/color saturation/contrast/flash intensity settings |
|Self-timer: || ||10 seconds or 2 seconds; Triple Self-timer |
|Built-in Flash: || ||Flash Modes: Auto, Flash On, Flash Off, Red Eye Reduction |
Approximate Range: 1.31 to 8.53 feet (W); 1.31 to 6.56 feet (T)
|Viewfinder: || ||LCD screen; optical viewfinder |
|Monitor Screen: || ||EX-Z55: 2.5-inch digital interface TFT color LCD, 115,200 pixels (480x240) |
EX-Z50: 2.0-inch digital interface TFT color LCD, 84,960 pixels (354x240)
|Playback: || ||Zoom display (4X); 9 picture display; calendar; Photostand function |
|Timekeeping Functions: || ||Date and time recorded with image data; auto calendar up to 2049 |
|World Time: || ||162 cities (32 time zones); city names; date and time; daylight saving time |
|Other features: || ||Histogram display; grid display; album function; favorites folder |
|Input/Output Terminals: || ||USB cradle terminal |
|Battery: || ||Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery |
|Battery life: || ||EX-Z55: Approx. 400 snapshots (CIPA standard) |
Continuous recording: approx. 1070 snapshots (3 hr. 30 min.) *
Continuous playback: approx. 6 hr. 50 min. (still photos)
Continuous recording: approx. 6 hr. 20 min. (voice recording)
EX-Z50: Approx. 390 snapshots (CIPA standard)
Continuous recording: approx. 970 snapshots (3 hr. 10 min.) *
Continuous playback: approx. 6 hr. 20 min. (still photos)
Continuous recording: approx. 5 hr. 50 min. (voice recording)
*recording wide / tele alternatively each 12 secs, LCD on, flash off
|Dimensions: || ||EX-Z55: 3.43" (W) x 2.28" (H) x .89" (D) (excluding protrusions, thinnest point .78") |
EX-Z50: 3.43" x 2.24" (H) x .88" (D) (excluding protrusions, thinnest point .78")
|Weight: || ||EX-Z55: Approximately 4.59 oz (excluding battery and accessories) |
EX-Z50: Approximately 4.27 oz (excluding battery and accessories)
|Bundled Accessories: || ||Lithium Ion rechargeable battery; USB cradle; USB cable; AC adapter; Strap; CD-ROM |
Specifications are subject to change without notice.
EXILIM is a registered trademark of CASIO COMPUTER CO. LTD. PENTAX is a registered trademark of Pentax Corporation. Any other company or product names are registered trademarks or trademarks of those companies.
Casio, Inc., Dover, N.J., is the U.S. subsidiary of Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan. Casio, Inc., markets digital cameras, calculators, business organizers, mobile presentation devices, keyboards, portable color TVs, timepieces (Wrist Technology), cash registers and other consumer electronic products. Casio, the unexpected extra – for more information visit our web site at www.casio.com.